Manager Case Management - Care Coordination Admin - Full Time 8 Hour Days (Exempt) (Non-Union)
University of Southern California (USC)
Location: Los Angeles, California
Internal Number: REQ20140828
The Case Management Manager provides administrative and operational support to the Senior Director. The Case Management Manager provides direct supervision to the RN Case Managers, Utilization Review Nurses and utilization review LVNs and ancillary staff, Transitional Care Coordinator, LVN Discharge Planning Coordinators and Discharge Planning Coordinators. The Manager provides support regarding difficult / complex cases. The Case Management Manager is accountable for daily department operations, including coordinating daily case management activities to conform to evidence-based practice and/or regulatory/payer requirements. This position integrates functions of case management, care coordination, utilization management, and discharge planning in collaboration with the SW Manager and staff. This position is responsible for daily department operations, including staffing, assignments, and human resources management. The Case Management Manager provides on call support for after hours, weekends, and holidays in coordination with the Senior Director.
1. Provides orientation and training for Case Management staff.
2. Participates in the hiring and selection of new staff.
3. Promotes positive partnership between Social Workers, Case Managers, Utilization Review nurses, Discharge Planning Coordinators and the multidisciplinary team in order to achieve coordinated, timely and patient-centered care.
4. Proficient in the use of computers and computer programs necessary to perform job responsibilities including Cerner, EnsoCare, InterQual.
5. Provides direct supervision for RN Case Managers, RN utilization management staff, LVN utilization management staff and ancillary staff, Transitional Care Coordinator, LVN Discharge Planning Coordinators and Discharge Planning Coordinators.
6. Partners with nursing leadership to educate nursing on case management process to minimize care/service delays and identify opportunities to improve throughput.
7. Works with Hospitalists, medical staff and Physician Advisors to ensure case management activities are integrated with the goals of physician partners.
8. Serves as facilitator of the Hospital Utilization Review Committee and serves on other Committees throughout the medical center.
1. Conducts quality improvement activities including but not limited to audits, interrater reliability studies, and quality data collection.
2. Monitors InterQual reviews to ensure timeframes are met (24 hours for Admission InterQual and every Three days for Continued Stay InterQual.)
3. Ensures discharge planning assessments are performed within 24 hours to document ensure appropriate discharge planning activities throughout the patientâs hospital stay.
4. Ensures that departmental functions, policies and procedures and activities are in compliance with appropriate regulatory standards, including, but not limited to: Joint Commission, Federal, State, corporate compliance and other applicable professional codes.
5. Participates in the development and revision of appropriate department policies and procedures.
6. Assists with the development and monitoring of indictors for the department Quality Dashboard to ensure department goals and quality processes are effective.
1. Participates in Interdisciplinary meetings and care coordination rounds. Demonstrates knowledge of patientâs clinical condition, care coordination, and discharge planning status.
2. Works with admissions case manager to effectively screen unscheduled/urgent admissions.
3. Provides supervision for case management staff in absence of the Senior Director to ensure department operations run efficiently.
4. Conducts staff evaluations and competency testing to ensure quality of department services.
5. Provides on call coverage for department coverage after hours, weekends, and holidays as designated by director.
6. Reviews Important Message from Medicare data to ensure notices are issued per the requirementsâ.
7. Works with the Quality Improvement Organization when patients / families appeal discharges. Maintains records of appeals and outcomes.
1. Provides coverage for Case Management staff for scheduled and unscheduled absences such as vacations or sick time or during high volume workdays.
2. Participates in utilization management activities to ensure hospital resources are utilized appropriately.
3. Participates in the denial appeals process to identify opportunities to improve denial rates.
4. Responsible for daily staffing and assignments to optimize department services.
5. Ensures case management staff provide appropriate phone and/or fax reviews to managed care providers timely.
6. Assists with data collection and audits to maximize potential reimbursement and minimize financial risk (Medicare One Day Stay).
1. Provides consultations to Case Managers on difficult cases and provides a second opinion, expertise, and problem-solving assistance.
2. Contributes to self development by attending seminars and educational classes.
3. Demonstrates the ability to effectively train department staff on use of laptops and computer programs.
4. Assists with identification of staff educational needs and develops appropriate in services education.
ï·Â 5. Other duties as requested or assigned.
Req Bachelor's degree Graduate of an accredited school of registered nursing. Bachelorâs Degree in Nursing (BSN)
Req 3 years 3 - 5 years clinical experience.
Req 5 years Experience in hospital-based case management.
Req 2 years Consecutive yearsâ experience in case management leadership at the Manager level.
Req Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, exercising judgment and initiative.
Req Ability to perform a variety of complex analytical and administrative duties and manage conceptual assignments.
Req Knowledgeable regarding use of computer-based applications.
Pref Master's degree Masterâs Degree in Nursing (MSN).
Pref Specialized/technical training Accredited Case Manager.
Req Registered Nurse - RN (CA Board of Registered Nursing)
Req Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The annual base salary range for this position is $110,240.00 - $181,896.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâs work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations.
As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.
What Information Do We Collect?
When you visit our website you may provide us with two types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected on an individual basis and website use information collected on an aggregate basis as you and others browse our website.
Personal Information You Choose to Provide
We may request that you voluntarily supply us with personal information, including your email address, postal address, home or work telephone number and other personal information for such purposes as correspondence, placing an order, requesting an estimate, or participating in online surveys.
If you choose to correspond with us through email, we may retain the content of your email messages together with your email address and our responses. We provide the same protections for these electronic communications that we employ in the maintenance of information received by mail and telephone.
Website Use Information
Similar to other websites, our site may utilize a standard technology called "cookies" (see explanation below, "What Are Cookies?") and web server logs to collect information about how our website is used. Information gathered through cookies and server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at our website, and the sites visited just before and just after ours. This information is collected on an aggregate basis. None of this information is associated with you as an individual.
How Do We Use the Information That You Provide to Us?
Broadly speaking, we use personal information for purposes of administering our business activities, providing service and support and making available other products and services to our customers and prospective customers. Occasionally, we may also use the information we collect to notify you about important changes to our website, new services and special offers we think you will find valuable. The lists used to send you product and service offers are developed and managed under our traditional standards designed to safeguard the security and privacy of all personal information provided by our users. You may at any time to notify us of your desire not to receive these offers.
What Are Cookies?
Cookies are a feature of web browser software that allows web servers to recognize the computer used to access a website. Cookies are small pieces of data that are stored by a user's web browser on the user's hard drive. Cookies can remember what information a user accesses on one web page to simplify subsequent interactions with that website by the same user or to use the information to streamline the user's transactions on related web pages. This makes it easier for a user to move from web page to web page and to complete commercial transactions over the Internet. Cookies should make your online experience easier and more personalized.
How Do We Use Information Collected From Cookies?
We use website browser software tools such as cookies and web server logs to gather information about our website users' browsing activities, in order to constantly improve our website and better serve our users. This information assists us to design and arrange our web pages in the most user-friendly manner and to continually improve our website to better meet the needs of our users and prospective users.
Cookies help us collect important business and technical statistics. The information in the cookies lets us trace the paths followed by users to our website as they move from one page to another. Web server logs allow us to count how many people visit our website and evaluate our website's visitor capacity. We do not use these technologies to capture your individual email address or any personally identifying information about you.
Notice of New Services and Changes
Occasionally, we may use the information we collect to notify you about important changes to our website, new services and special offers we think you will find valuable. As a user of our website, you will be given the opportunity to notify us of your desire not to receive these offers by clicking on a response box when you receive such an offer or by sending us an email request.
How Do We Secure Information Transmissions?
When you send confidential personal information to us on our website, a secure server software which we have licensed encrypts all information you input before it is sent to us. The information is scrambled en route and decoded once it reaches our website.
Other email that you may send to us may not be secure unless we advise you that security measures will be in place prior to your transmitting the information. For that reason, we ask that you do not send confidential information such as Social Security, credit card, or account numbers to us through an unsecured email.
How Do We Protect Your Information?
Information Security -- We utilize encryption/security software to safeguard the confidentiality of personal information we collect from unauthorized access or disclosure and accidental loss, alteration or destruction.
Evaluation of Information Protection Practices -- Periodically, our operations and business practices are reviewed for compliance with organization policies and procedures governing the security, confidentiality and quality of our information.
Employee Access, Training and Expectations -- Our organization values, ethical standards, policies and practices are committed to the protection of user information. In general, our business practices limit employee access to confidential information, and limit the use and disclosure of such information to authorized persons, processes and transactions.
How Can You Access and Correct Your Information?
You may request access to all your personally identifiable information that we collect online and maintain in our database by emailing us using the contact form provided to you within the site structure of our website.
Do We Disclose Information to Outside Parties?
What About Legally Compelled Disclosure of Information?
We may disclose information when legally compelled to do so, in other words, when we, in good faith, believe that the law requires it or for the protection of our legal rights.
Permission to Use of Materials
The right to download and store or output the materials in our website is granted for the user's personal use only, and materials may not be reproduced in any edited form. Any other reproduction, transmission, performance, display or editing of these materials by any means mechanical or electronic without our express written permission is strictly prohibited. Users wishing to obtain permission to reprint or reproduce any materials appearing on this site may contact us directly.
We are grateful for your donation and support of our organization. If you have made an error in making your donation or change your mind about contributing to our organization please contact us. Refunds are returned using the original method of payment. If you made your donation by credit card, your refund will be credited to that same credit card.
Automated Recurring Donation Cancellation
Ongoing support is important to enabling projects to continue their work, so we encourage donors to continue to contribute to projects over time. But if you must cancel your recurring donation, please notify us.